French prosecutors launch terrorism probe after Dakar Rally explosion in Saudi Arabia


French prosecutors have launched a terrorism investigation after a French vehicle involved in a stage of the Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia last week exploded, injuring one of the competitors.

In a statement on Tuesday, the prosecutors said the explosion happened on Dec. 30 in the Saudi city of Jeddah. It said five French nationals had been in the vehicle at the time of the blast.

French news outlet FranceInfo reported on Jan. 1 that an explosion hit a support vehicle being used by the French rally team Sodicars.

Citing race director David Castera, FranceInfo said the explosion happened as the support vehicle left the team hotel to head to the start of the race stage.

It said Philippe Boutron, co-driver of the team’s race car, suffered a serious leg injury and had to be hospitalised.



Source link

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *