Premier Doug Ford working with OHL on plan to allow bodychecking

Sunil Kumar
0 0
Read Time:58 Second


TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford is leaving the door open for bodychecking to remain in the Ontario Hockey League for the upcoming season.

Ford tweeted Saturday night that he is working on a return-to-play plan with the OHL that would involve physical contact. He acknowledged that the plan would need to be approved by health experts.

Ford commented a day after Ontario’s minister of sport, Lisa MacLeod, said bodychecking would not be allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic in a speech delivered to the Empire Club of Canada.

The minister said the decision to ban bodychecking came after outbreaks in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which led to games being postponed and rescheduled.

Ford said he would like the OHL to return with rules as close to normal as possible.

The QMJHL is the lone league of the three major junior leagues in action. However, eight of the 18 teams aren’t allowed on the ice currently because of Quebec government restrictions.

The OHL plans to start its shortened season Feb. 4.

The Western Hockey League is aiming to get going in early January.





Source link

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Bringing a title to L.A. has special meaning for Dodgers' Julio Urias

It didn’t fully hit Julio Urias, the man on the mound when the Los Angeles Dodgers ended their 32-year title drought earlier this week, that he had just won the World Series with his strikeout of Willy Adames of the Tampa Bay Rays. One thing that will stay with the […]
%d bloggers like this: